A map of the Icknield Port Loop of the New Main Line (BCN)
The map displays a range of services available on the Icknield Port Loop of the New Main Line (BCN). Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Icknield Port Loop of the New Main Line (BCN)
|Canal length :||0.7 miles|
The section of the BCN which is now referred to as the Icknield Port Loop, was originally part of the Birmingham Canal. As the amount of traffic increased over the years, the congestion deteriorated due to only having a single towpath to cater for boats travelling in both directions and also due the bottlenecks caused by locks at Smethwick Summit.
In 1827 a new canal was cut between Birmingham and Tipton providing a wider canal with 2 towpaths and no locks. The first section, going west from Birmingham, straightened the path of the of the canal as far as Smethwick. However, the factories and wharfs lying along the old path of the canal still needed access to the BCN. The three old, looping sections of the canal were left in place and connected to the New Main Line Canal.
These sections are now referred as The Loops.
For more detailed information, follow the links below: