A map of the Walsall Canal
The map displays a range of services available on the Walsall Canal. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Walsall Canal
|Canal length :||8.1 miles|
|Boat Length :||71ft|
|Height :||7ft 5ins|
|Width :||7ft 4ins|
|Draught :||4ft 4ins|
the canal runs from Ryders Green Junction on the Wednesbury Old Canal in the south to Birchills Junction on the The Wyrley and Essington Canal in the north.
The canal was constructed in 4 stages. The initial stages were an extension to the Wednesbury Canal called the Broadwaters Extension was opened in 1785. This branch provided access to the coal mines at Moxley. Whilst from the northern end, the Birchills Branch of the Wyrley and Essington Canal reached Bloxwich Wharf by 1798.
The third section from Moxley to Walsall was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1794. The work started in 1798 and only reached Darlaston and the section to Walsall remained unfinished.
Fourth section from Walsall, which went south to join the unfinished section of the canal at Darlaston, was started in 1838 and completed in 1842. The 0.6 mile section contatins 8 locks and completes the connection between Wyrrel and Essington Canal and the Old Wendesbury Canal.
For more detailed information, follow the links below: