A map of the River Avon
The map displays a range of services available on the River Avon. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the River Avon
|Canal length :||46.1 miles|
|Boat Length :||70ft|
|Height :||8ft ins|
|Width :||13ft ins|
|Draught :||3ft ins|
The navigable section of the River Avon runs from the Alveston weir, which is a couple of miles upstream for Stratford-upon-Avon, to Tewksbury where it joins the Servern Navigation canal. The river itself runs from a spring in Naseby in Northamptonshire, through Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestshire and finally to the River Severn in Gloucestershire.
The first recorded history of improvements to the river and flow was in 1635 when William Sandys wa granted powers to improve both the River Avon and the Rivern Terne. In 1717 the navigation was split at Evesham into the Upper and Lower Avon. Trade was severly affected by the introduction of the railways and eventually into disuse.
Restoration began in March 1949 with the publication of an article in the Evesham Journal that described the decline. Fund raising was started by the Lower Avon Navigation Trust Ltd which had raised £50,000 by 1962. This led eventually to the restoration of the 7 locks from Tewksbury to Evesham. Further donations of £84,000 led to the restoration of the Upper Avon.
For more detailed information, follow the link below: