A map of the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal
The map displays a range of services available on the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal
|Canal length :||25.3 miles|
|Boat Length :||70ft|
|Height :||6ft ins|
|Width :||6ft 10ins|
The Stratforn-upon-Avon Canal runs from Kings Norton in the north to Stratford-upon-Avon in the south. The canal is 25.5 miles long and was built between 1793 and 1816. Half way along it's length there is a link to the Grand Union Canal at Kingswood Junction. The section north of Kingswood Junction is often referred to as the Northern Stratford and the section south of the junction is similarly referred to as the South Stratford.
There are 2 large flights of locks, the Lapworth Flight consisting of 26 locks and the Wilmcote Flight consisting of 12 locks. A reservoir system at Earlswood Lakes is a feeder for the canal. The 3 Lakes were built between 1821 and 1822.
Construction proceded in 3 phases. In March 1793 an Act was passed allowing the Canal Company to raise £120,000 and a further £60,000 if required. Construction started at Kings Norton in November 1793 and continued until just short of the first of the Lapworth Flight locks when the company ran out of money. The company obtained a further Act in June 1799 to allow it to raise more capital. Work restarted in 1799 and the canal was continued until it reached Kingswood junction. The Northern Stratford canal formally opened im May 1802.
Construction of the Southern Statford did not start until 1812. A further Act was passed in May 1815 allowing William James to build the reservoirs at Earlswood and to also to connect the canal and the River Avon. The canal reached Stratford in 1816. The final cost was around £297,000.
For more detailed information, follow the links below: