A map of the Droitwich Canals
The map displays a range of services available on the Droitwich Canals. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Droitwich Canals
|Canal length :||7.2 miles|
|Boat Length :||72ft|
|Height :||8ft ins|
|Width :||7ft 1ins|
|Draught :||3ft 6ins|
The Droitwich area has been an important area for producing salt since the Roman times. Several attempts were made to make the River Salwaroe navigable, starting in 1675. After failed river improvement schemes and an attempt to produce a pipeline for the brine, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1768 to authorise the construction of the Droitwich Canal.
It was originally constructed as a broad canal, capable of taking Severn Trows. It is a contour canal, reducing the number of cuttings and embankments and consequently the cost.
The canal was opened in 1771 and was a commercial success.
For more detailed information, follow the links below: