A map of the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal
The map displays a range of services available on the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal
|Canal length :||4.9 miles|
|Height :||7ft 6ins|
|Width :||14ft ins|
|Draught :||3ft 6ins|
The Slough Arm is a short canal running from the Grand Union Canal to Slough. The canal was completed in June 1882. The reason for building the canal was to provide bricks for London.
Business peaked in 1905 when 192,000 tons of cargo, mainly bricks, were transported along the canal, generating an income of £7,164. Bricks and gravel continued to be transported along the canal up until the 1940s when the raw materials ran out. Commercial traffic finally ended in 1960.
Whilst there were plans to fill in the canal, the Slough Canal Group fought a strong campaign to save the canal. They succeeded and the canal re-opened in 1975.
For more detailed information, follow the links below: