A map of the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal
The map displays a range of services available on the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal. Simply click the box next to any service being displayed in the Map Key on the left of your screen.
A brief history of the Middlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal
|Canal length :||9.8 miles|
|Boat Length :||72ft|
|Width :||7ft ins|
The Mddlewich Branch of the Shropshire Union Canal connects the main canal to the Trent and Mersey Canal. The canal was originally planned as part of the Chester Canal. Approval for its construction was given in 1772 but the company ran out of money and construction did not begin until 1827. The canal became part of the Shropshire Union system in 1846.
The canal follows a delightful rural route through Cheshire farmland, with a short urban section near the junction at Middlewich. Many of the structures are original, and consequently, most of them are grade II listed. There is no commercial traffic on the waterway, but transition to the leisure age has resulted in two marinas being constructed to provide moorings for pleasure craft.
For more detailed information, follow the link below: